There are several derivatives of Linux like Ubuntu, Debian,Fedora,FreeBSD etc.Using a particular derivative may be based on choice of who is using it. All these derivatives at their core has Linux kernel.
I particularly like Ubuntu,it is Debian based Linux and it is easy to use.The best thing about it is that it has desktop,notebook version and a separate Server Version.
In this article I am going to explain to make a USB drive bootable.I am Using UNetbootin to make it happen.
I like UNetbootin because it is available for Windows,Linux and Mac OS X. By using it any Linux distro can be made bootable.
What you need
- Microsoft Windows,or Linux ,or Mac OS X.
- A USB drive of 4 GB or more.
- A pre downloaded ISO file of Operating system(Ubuntu in my Case) or Internet connection if want to install it by downloading.
How to make it happen?
Well, follow these steps to accomplish the task.
Download latest version of UNetbootin
Go to http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net and download the software.
Run the software
If using Windows(xp,vista,7,8) click on exe file to open.
If using Linux make file executable by
chmod +x ./unetbootin-linux
and then start the software.
Insert USB drive and format
Insert USB drive to USB port and Format is to FAT32. Sometimes NTFS format not detected so better format it.
Once you open the application it will open a window like this.
As you can see in above picture ,there are two option.
- Distribution: By this method you can select Linux Distribution and its Version (This method is recommended when you have a high speed internet connection )
- Diskimage: In this method select the downloaded ISO file of Linux derivative you want to install(In my case I have already downloaded latest version of Ubuntu from http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop)
Next, If you too using Ubuntu select the size in MB you want to use to preserve file between reboot.
Type: Since we are making a USB bootable select “USB Drive “.
and then click on OK.
After pressing OK you will get following Window. Wait for some time.
At last you got the following Window.Press “Reboot Now” if want to install Linux Distribution on same computer(PC) or press “Exit” if want to install it on other PC.
The USB drive is bootable now!