XAMPP is web development bundle which has all tools needed for a web developer who deals with PHP,MySQL and PHP based Content management systems or Publishing platform. It is better for WordPress development too.
It has Apache,MySQL,PHP, phpMyAdmin, FileZilla FTP Server etc.
Why I use XAMPP ?
Because it is..
- Cross Platform:
- Open Source:
- Community Driven:
Here are steps to install XAMPP on Ubuntu from Scratch.
1. Download latest version of XAMPP from Apache friends.
2. I am using Installer version(.exe file) of XAMPP to install it to windows.Once downloaded click on installer.you get following screen. select the language and click on OK.
3. you will get following screen click on Next
4. you will get following screen. the default is C://XAMPP. you may change install location according to your choice.
5.Click on Next then you will get following screen. This screen is for install options for window XP or before versions of Windows.
If you are using XP then select all of SERVICE SELECTION option on screen then click Install.
6. After clicking install you get following screens.
7. When you click finish you will get following screen.Click on Yes to start XAMPP control panel.
8. Next you will get following XAMPP control panel screen.
here you can see that Apache and FileZilla is Running.If it is not running
for you then select their respective Svn and click Start . The modules of Apache and MySQL is needed to develop and run PHP and MySQL based applications.Start Apache , MySQL to start working with XAMPP. No need for fileZilla , Mercury and Tomcat right now.
9. On clicking at Svn and Start of Apache and MySQL you will get
following screen. if it is so then You have completed installation of XAMPP almost.
10. Now you have to do basic configuration to start working with XAMPP. Open Web browser,in my case it is Firefox.type http://localhost/xampp you will get following page.
11. In left menus you can see Security menu item below Status menu item. Click on Security. you will get this screen.
12.Click on the highlighted link http://localhost/security/xamppsecurity.php. You will get following screen.
Setup password for ROOT the admin user of MySQL database. Enter passwords twice and click on Password Changing.
No need of enter password for XAMPP Directory protection if you are installing XAMPP at your computer for developing purposes or testing purposes.
13.Now it is time to test the current installation is working or not.
To test apache go to C:\xampp\htdocs create a folder name test and create a
PHP file named index.php
write following small test code in that
<?php phpinfo() ?>
and open following url :
you will see following screen.